WASHINGTON: A Pentagon spokesperson on Thursday moved to dismiss claims that that any alterations had been made in the way claims for the Coalition Support Fund (CSF) for Pakistan were being processed.
Official Pentagon spokesperson Captain John F. Kirby told reporters that currently they were processing the CSF claims made by Pakistan from 2011. He added that to his knowledge, there had been no change in the way the Pentagon was processing the claims or how Pakistan was filing them.
Speaking about the CSF mechanism, Kirby explained that it was a programme through which Pakistan can claim reimbursements for funds the ally had expended in fighting terrorism. “These are existing claims that go back to 2011, and we are now going as we do, so its not just about paying them right now, they have to be processed like how CSF claims have been,” he said of the claims.
He said that there had been no decision yet about future claims, and they will work on those when they need to.
The question of CSF payments arose after Pakistan reopened the Nato supply line last week. US had halted CSF payments, subjecting it to reopening of the supply line, which had been closed following a cross-border incident in November, 2011.
The US Department of Defense has said that it has approved over $8.8 billion in CSF reimbursements to Pakistan since 2002. The last payment to Pakistan was made in December 2010 for $633 million.